Charity Short Codes - UK - mFUSION
The UK Framework for charity donations by SMS (text messaging) allows qualifying organisations to make use of this easy way to donate via SMS Short Codes.
Short Codes are managed by each of the 5 UK Mobile Network Operators in the following order:
70000 – 70199 Orange
70200 – 70399 O2
70400 – 70599 3
70600 – 70799 T-Mobile
70800 – 70999 Vodafone
Donations via SMS are possible across all UK Networks, as outlined above. In order for the charities SMS payments to go live, charities must be registered as a valid UK charity to accept donations via SMS.
Charity SMS outpayments are available from your account manager.
The Framework Agreement
The Framework Agreement is an important document for accepting SMS Donations. This sets out the terms under which the Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) agree to provide the Charity Text Short Code services.
In summary these are as follows:
1. The charitable or other qualifying organisation applying for the Text SMS Donations must be registered on the HMRC website.
2. The service is provided under normal commercial contract conditions. The MNOs and the Aggregators (sometimes called Connectivity Providers) who connect these services to the MNOs are running their normal day-to-day business.
3. As with any contract or sale, the sellers (MNOs) have the absolute right to refuse to provide a service if they do not believe it is in the public interest or it contravenes their own business ethics.
4. The burden of proof of the eligibility of the charitable or other qualifying organisation rests with the Service Provider (Aggregator or Connectivity Provider) who must keep a record of the HMRC registration for audit purposes.
5. HMRC rules for VAT-exempt donations broadly state that to comply, nothing must be given in return for the donation - for example a 'free' ringtone or wallpaper for download would contravene the rules. Only a simple text acknowledgement is acceptable. Full details can be found on the HMRC website.
You can read more about SMS Donations on our mFUSION site.
Mobile donations refers to donating to an organization through a mobile device. The primary means for mobile donating is through SMS payments.